This healthy apple crisp recipe is sweet and simple to prepare but uses very little added sugar.
Number of Servings: 9
3 medium baking apples, cored, sliced thin
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp heart-healthy margarine
Mix first four ingredients and place into 9-inch (square or round) baking dish.
In small bowl, mix topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over the apples.
Bake at 325 degrees until apples are soft and topping is golden brown (about 30 minutes).
Servings Per Recipe: 9
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 122
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.9 mg
- Potassium 79.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 14 g
- Protein 1.5 g
I’ve tried many carrot cakes, and this is my favorite recipe!
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 tsp ground nutmeg
– 2 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup raisins
– 1/2 cup egg substitute
– 2 egg whites
– 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
– 1/2 cup applesauce
– 1/3 cup canola oil
– 12 oz fat free cream cheese
– 3 tbsp hot water
– 1 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-fat cooking spray (I used butter flavored Pam), line the bottoms with parchment or wax paper, and spray the paper with the nonstick spray.
Combine the flour, both kinds of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Whisk the egg substitute and egg whites in a large bowl. Add the carrots, applesauce, oil, and raisins, and hot water stirring until blended. With a rubber spatula, add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture, and stir until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the cake pans. Bake until the cakes are nicely browned and the center of each one bounces back when lightly pressed with a fingertip, approx 30-32 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans, peel off the paper, and cool completely on racks.
To make the frosting, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the remaining ingredients until smooth.
Place on layer of cake on a cake plate, and using 1/2 cup of frosting, frost evenly out to edges. Place other layer of cake on top, and spread remaining frosting on top and on sides. Slice into 16 servings.
Entire recipe makes 16 servings
Serving size is one slice
1,510 calories, 84g fat, 600mg sodium, 179g carbs, 6g fiber, 129g sugars, 18g protein
This is my go-to recipe when I want Chinese food without having to go out. Very easy and delicious.
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 (2-inch piece) ginger, crushed
1 tablespoon Olive oil
10 ounces beef, sliced to strips
10 ounces broccoli, florets
1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/4 cup lite (lower-sodium) soy sauce, optional Tamari or coconut aminos
1/2 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup water, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
Over medium heat, in a wok or saucepan with olive oil, sauté the garlic, ginger and onion for 3 minutes. Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and bell pepper.
In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, honey, lemon, and ground pepper. Adjust to taste.
In another small bowl, mix the starch and half of the water. Set aside.
Pour the soy sauce mixture in the wok then add the remaining half of the water. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through but still crispy. Pour the cornstarch mixture and cook until the sauce is thick. Serve with steamed brown rice or quinoa.
Yields: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Sodium: 320 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 20 g
Learn how to make these delightful Boston Cream Pie Minis! Fill the cupcakes with vanilla, and then top them with chocolate for the perfect finishing touch!
Boston Cream Pie Minis: makes 48-52
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 c. egg beaters
- 1/3 c. nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 c. water
- 1 box sugar free vanilla instant pudding
- 1 c. skim milk
- 1-1/2 c. Cool Whip Free
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate
Mix cake ingredients together and spoon into mini muffin tins coated with cooking spray. Bake @ 350 until cupcakes spring back when touched. Cool completely.
Mix pudding with milk until blended and thickened. Fold in Cool Whip. Cut each cupcake in half horizontally and spread filling mixture over the bottom half; top with other half.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Spoon over cupcakes. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until serving.
This was excellent chicken. it had great flavor and the chicken was so tender and moist.
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup light parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salted seasoning
Pepper to taste
Mix ingredients together in a bowl
Place 6 chicken breasts in a sprayed casserole dish and cover with sauce.
Tinfoil and bake at 350 for 45 min or until fully cooked.
Sprinkle with parsley
Makes 6 servings,
BBQ Meatballs.. easy to make in the crock pot, this recipe only takes 3 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep! Doesn’t get better than that.
1 pound package extra lean ground beef or turkey, see shopping tips
¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
1 large egg or 2 egg whites
½ cup onions, finely minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1½ cups onions, diced
1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce, I used Sweet Baby Rays, or use your favorite
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (add ⅛ teaspoon more if you like a bit of kick)
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onions, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients and form 24 small meatballs, about ⅛ cup each (2 tablespoons)
2. To cook 1½ cups onions for sauce: cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes to soften.
3. Pour barbecue sauce into crock-pot. Add softened onions and mix well. Drop meatballs into sauce. Mix around to cover completely with sauce. Set crock-pot to low, 6 hours or on high heat 3 hours.
Makes 24 meatballs
for 1 meatball and sauce
0g sat fat
I’ve received many rave reviews for this tender coffee cake that’s chock-full of blueberries and sliced almonds. Since it’s not overly sweet, it’s just the thing for breakfast or a light dessert.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 cup of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix together removing any clumps. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Slowly stir the wet and dry ingredients together until mixed. Try not to overmix or the cake will become tough.
- Gently fold in half of the blueberries and almonds.
- Pour everything into a round cake pan. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries and almonds on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/8 of cake
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Total Carbohydrate 34 g
Fiber 5 g
Protein 7 g
“A little spicy barbeque chicken that simmers all day in the slow cooker. Super easy preparation.”
6 chicken breasts (1½ pounds total) boneless, skinless
3 cups onions, chopped
1 (18 oz) bottle of barbecue sauce, I like Sweet Baby Ray’s original, Bull’s-eye original or use your favorite
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Place onions in a microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften.
2. Add cooked onions to crock-pot. Stir in barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Add the chicken breasts and submerged into sauce. Cover and cook on high heat 2 hours or on low heat 4 hours.
Makes 6 servings (each serving 1 chicken breast and ¼ cup sauce)
for 1 chicken breast and ¼ cup sauce
1g sat fat